Sunday, November 4, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

My grandchildren are often just the medicine I need for my weary heart. They often hold the key to healing no one else can provide. They are God's answer to many of my prayers.

Friday evening I babysat Kim and Mike's four Grand-angels. There is no greater gift now, than snuggling on the couch, watching a movie and giggling with them. I love hearing about their school day and their progress in class, their achievements and their upcoming events. Most of all, I love to hear them call me-Grandma. I know it might sound silly, but I am thrilled that they want me around. They actually get excited when I come over to babysit. It makes me feel special, knowing I really mean something to them.

Saturday, I saw Olivia and as I was getting ready to leave she said-You play with me? Toys? Needless to say, I didn't go home as planned and we colored for a while longer. I made it to the living room and was getting my coat when she looked sad and went to her blocks and brought me one. When I didn't take the hint, she took my hand. A half hour or so went by, and she showed me how to build a proper tower when she decided I could go home. Moments like these let me know that being Grandma, MeeMaw and Mom are some of the most precious times I have been given in this life. I am so very blessed to have experienced the most beautiful of these times, the unplanned blessings that are gifted to me.

Sunday, was church and PSR. While Gus and I were at PSR class, we were taking part in the Fruits of the Spirit games and getting ready for snack. After a couple of games, graham crackers, and a prayer, Gus profoundly touched my heart as he finished his sign of the cross, followed it with Amen-looked up to Heaven and said-Love you, Momma. He just went on about his business and started playing with the other kids. But my heart was changed by that moment. His innocence reassured me that if he can love a momma he can no longer see and kiss. I, too, can love a Father I cannot see.

I cannot explain how I know God's love is surrounding Jason and the kids, but I know it is. He holds them in His arms. His love is real and safe. Gus knows it, and so do I.

And so I will listen closely, because God's word comes in many ways. And I will continue to pray because I know the power of prayer and faith as a mother grieves.

No comments:

Post a Comment