Sunday, October 27, 2013

Scary Stuff

Halloween is right around the corner! What is one of your scariest memories as a kid?
I'll tell you one of mine. It wasn't even Halloween. It was a school picnic. The Fun House.
Right. I waited in a long line to be scared out of my wits! I was only about 8 years old and I was
really scared. I went into the Fun House, only to be led into a dark trailer, decorated with flying creatures, ghosts, goblins and the like, and the kicker-an animal skin.

Once I brushed up against the animal skin, it was all over! I tried to turn around and go against the crowd, but I couldn't. No one would let me back through the line to get out. I was pushed forward through the other parts of the trailer. I became very familiar with the person in front of me-whoever it was. I burrowed in as much as I could and clenched my eyes shut as tight as I could. I tried not to look at or feel anything. I shuffled forward, crying quietly and telling myself it would be over soon. All of a sudden, there was light!

My eyes were adjusting from the dark, I quickly recognized the schoolyard and heard the other kids outside the Fun House hooting it up! I was just happy to put the experience behind me. From that day on, I couldn't go near haunted houses, fright nights, or anything really scary. I to this day, don't like scary masks, spooky music or creepy things that go bump in the night! And forget about rubbing up against anything furry unexpectedly!That's scary stuff.

Now, scary stuff means not knowing all the answers. When our children are young, we are MOM-we are their Maker of Miracles, M.O.M. As we become truly wiser and stronger in our Faith, we realize our strength lies in our knowledge of God and His wisdom. His Truth and His Light. He is the Maker of all Miracles, and when we recognize that in our hearts, we can actually relax.

As kids, kissing a boo-boo and making it all better is a miracle. As they get a little older, our ability to know a lot takes a nose dive and we are often replaced with peers of a much greater degree of know-it-all. But, then a few years go by, and the kids again look to us for some reassurance about decision making. My girls still call me for an ear. They do not want me to tell them what to do, just to listen and tell them it's going to be alright. My faith guides those conversations.

There was a time when they had lost their way with faith. I couldn't mention anything about God, or Faith or anything-and they were all over me-that, was scary stuff. I had to pray for guidance and generally, keep my mouth closed until they were ready to go to God. I am not the Miracle Maker, God is. Scary stuff, like I said-I have had to be reminded a time or two myself!

Now, it is a known fact that I will speak my mind if asked, my faith is my rock and the only way I choose to go through this life is being guided by His Light. I have had too many opportunities to fail on my own, and it is not in my best interest to tackle this life single-handed. When the girls ask, I answer, I pray first and then talk with them about their concerns, it doesn't have to be scary stuff.

As I grow closer to finding myself in total awe of what is to come next, I ask myself-have I done something good today? Did somebody smile because I cared enough today? Have I thanked Jesus for the chance to serve Him today? I know it sounds a little cheesy, right? But it works for me. I don't need to know all the answers anymore, I just need to know I am giving it all I've got today!

Giving it any less, would be scary stuff!

Blessings!




No comments:

Post a Comment